Wednesday, June 30, 2010


We went to Newark N.J. To see Michelle Graduate from Steton Hall. We got too see much more.
Well here we are in New York City. A I think this is Time Sq. any way it has a ton of big buildings and lots of stinky smells and some good one's. There are more people than you can ever believe would live in one place at the same time and cause me to wonder why???? The wall to wall buildings resemble canyons. I call them concrete canyons, the buildings rise up out of the concrete and asphalts like molten rock in the desert. They resembled the rock too with out all the different billboards adding color. In fact if it weren't for the signs and lights on the buildings it would be rather drab and lack luster with out the least bit of any form of nature. After returning home I realized how important the mountains of the west are to my feeling of well being and safety. I know it is kink of a false since of security especially since I know of all the dangers that really present if one were left with out the tools needed to survive in the rugged ranges. Any way we Mom, Michelle and I went to see a Broadway play and a Yankee Game. Both were great. There was much to see in a City this size and so we took in as much as we could with a bus tour. I think the thing that amazed me most was how they could stand so many buildings side by side with no connecting walls and each one standing alone with no support of the other. I found out that New York is built on bed rock. I have been in construction all my life and have studied soils and the effect that they have on the out come of construction. Bed rock is the foundation that is most desirable of all to build on. It will support the weight of such large structures with out the aid of artificial support such as Helical peers or massive pilings.(just a side note)
We enjoyed the Statue of Liberty (at a little distance) and the size of Yankee Stadium is massive. Time Square is quit a place in its self. In regard to the people I couldn't help but think
of what an overwhelming task is at hand to share the message of Christ to so many. There are some pretty good people there that much I came to know. I must say I found out what it felt like to be a minority. Newark N.J. is a community of diverse people, Latin and Black Americans seem the most predominate. Michelle wrote about the homeless, they are everywhere, not in great mass but prevalent enough. I couldn't help feel a little pang of sorrow for them in there plight. They seem so disconnected to the surroundings of life. I would suppose they insulate themselves so as to be able to deal with life such as it is.
On Memorial Day we did something different. (I have been attending Memorial service at the Cemetery in SF for a number of years) We rented a car and drove to Palmyra New York. I really liked what we found and saw. The Joseph Smith home and the Sacred Grove, the Palmyra Temple and the Hill Cumorah and the Printing press where the first 3000 Book of Mormons where printed (it took 8 months to do so) and the Peter Whitmer farm. These places reminded me of what a great sacrifice was made and how important the Restoration is. I was also reminded of what humble beginnings I have had. Perhaps some time I will share those times with you all. I was particularly moved by the events of the formal organization of the Church. The Whitmer farm is a very unusual place and has a certain spirit that resides there.
We went on up to Niagara Falls and that was an really rare to see so much water coming from one source in such a magnificent display. I really didn't expect it to be so wild and so wide.

As I marvel at the work of the Hand of God I was reminded then as I am now of how this place we live on created by Him includes Us all of Us. All the souls of all men were first created spiritually and then mortally just as each live thing on earth was first created in a spiritual sphere.What a wonderful knowledge and blessing to have. We are very fortunate to have some one who cares for us so much as to entrust us with such a creation. I think over all even given the mistakes we (mortals) make this earth is really resilient and has and dose and will continue to recover and provide for man kind.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home